Medication Administration Discussion Questions
1. A nurse plans to administer an intramuscular injection to an obese patient. What muscle should the
nurse consider the least desirable site for an intramuscular injection in an obese adult?
1. Vastus lateralis
2. Rectus femoris
2. A primary health-care provider prescribes 0.75 g of an
antibiotic intramuscularly for a patient with an infection. The vial of the medication contains 1 gram of the
medication and it must be reconstituted. The vial has
instructions to instill 1.8 mL of diluent to yield 2 mL
of solution. How much solution should the nurse
3. A nurse must administer a rectal suppository.
Which should the nurse do when administering
1. Use the full length of a gloved lubricated index
finger when inserting the suppository to ensure
it is beyond the rectal sphincters.
2. Explain the need to remain seated for several minutes after insertion of the suppository to promote
its retention in the rectum.
3. Take the suppository out of the refrigerator a half
hour before insertion to allow it to warm to room
4. Place the patient in the supine position to allow
easy access to the anus when inserting the
4. A nurse is interviewing a newly admitted patient as
part of a nursing history and physical. What information should be included in the medication reconciliation form? Select all that apply.
2. Drug allergies
3. Food supplements
4. Over-the-counter herbs
5. Prescribed medications
5. A nurse must administer 3 mL of a distasteful liquid
medication to a 3-year-old child. Which should the
nurse do to promote ingestion of the medication?
1. Dilute it in several ounces of the child’s favorite
fruit juice and then give it to the child.
2. Use a needleless syringe and instill it all at the same
time into the child’s buccal cavity.
3. Mix it in a glass of water and have the child sip the
medication through a straw.
4. Have the child eat an ice pop and then administer
the medication to the child.
Chapter 14 Medication Administration 397
0.5 1.0 1.5 2.0 2.5 3.0 mL
A B C D
6. A nurse observed another nurse administering an
injection via the Z-track technique. Which action by
the nurse indicated that the technique was performed
1. Obtained a syringe with a 25 gauge needle for the
2. Used the same needle for drawing up and administering the medication
3. Attached a needle with a 1-inch length after the
medication was drawn into the syringe
4. Pulled the skin laterally before insertion of the needle and removed the needle at the same angle of its
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more