Each student will interview a services sales person of his/her/their choice in an assigned industry and write a paper based on the
discussion. This interview has to be conducted live through phone or video (Zoom, Skype, etc) call. An email interview is not
acceptable. The goal is to provide you with insights about the world of sales that cannot be obtained from classroom experience
Attached are a standard list of questions that can be asked during the interview. Use them as the foundation for your interview, but
don’t be hindered by it. You may find that your conversation goes beyond some of these basic questions. Your report will be
a summary of the interview, and an analysis of what you have learned.
Find a services sales professional in your assigned industry. While it may be difficult to make a cold-call to a sales person, you will
find that most sales people will be honored to be asked about their experiences and will be willing to meet with you.
It is your responsibility to identify and contact a sales person; this is part of the course experience. I suggest sending an
introductory email and then following up with a phone call in a few days. Sales professionals’ schedules are often tight, and your
biggest challenge will be to find free time to meet them.
All of the following topics must be analyzed:
1. Background: Who is the sales person, and how did you identify him/her? What is his/her background (family education,
prior work experience, etc.)?
2. Measuring success: Is the sales person successful? By what criteria? Has the sales person given up anything by choosing
his/her career path? What sacrifices have been made if any?
3. Ideally, your salesperson is employed in an area of your personal interest. The more this is true, the more insights you will
gain into what you may want to do to prepare yourself to be a successful salesperson in the domain.
4. Some other guidelines:
– Please provide all contact information for the sales person in the introduction of your report.
– You may NOT interview family members, friends, or students. You should expand your network. You are required
to include contact information and I will call a random sample of the sales people interviewed.
– Don’t just report the interview, but also critique the salesperson’s process- Transcriptions of interviews will NOT be
accepted. Tell a story.
– Write a thank you email and include as an appendix in your report. Little things count in business.
5. Connections to class concepts and material (make sure to reference in APA citation format) enhance your work.MKT314 Professional Services Selling
Page 2 of 3
Format: 5 pages, 11 point font, double-spaced paper with 1 inch margins. Your paper should include the following:
• Who did you meet with and how (phone, Zoom, etc.)?
• What is their title, company and contact information (I will contact a random sample of interviewees)?
• How did you find this person to interview?
• How long was your discussion? (note – you should plan to speak for at least 45 minutes)
II. Summary of the discussion (no transcripts – tell a story)*
• Background questions
• Career insights questions
• Key takeaway questions
III. Analysis of what you learned*
• Measuring success: Is the salesperson successful? By what criteria? Has the sales person given up anything by choosing
his/her/their career path? What sacrifices have been made if any?
• What are the three main concepts you have learned about selling in this industry from your interview?
• What do you think you would like most about this sales job? What would like the least?
• Is this type of sales position/industry still of interest to you? Why or why not (be specific)?
*NOTE: Where applicable, connect your summary and analysis to the concepts we have discussed/learned in this course. Cite
your sources in APA format.
I will assign the industry based on your top three interests. The industries are listed below (no exceptions).
1. Social Work Non-Profit
2. Marketing/Advertising Agency
4. Law Services
5. Financial Planner
6. Employee Benefits/Payroll
7. Training and Development
9. Real Estate Agent
10. Public Relations
11. Accounting Services
12. Cloud Based Services (tech
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.