Understanding the Introduction Paragraph Thesis Statement & the Body Paragraphs
Part 1: Introduction Paragraph Introductory Hook and Thesis Statement Introduction Paragraph and Introductory Hook Instructions: View the YouTube video below and answer the following questions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNWlXq8Kyh8 1. What do you call the first paragraph that you write in your essay?
2. How many components make an introduction paragraph? What are they?
3. What is the purpose of an introductory hook? Explain. a. b. 3. In case you find yourself “often stuck” on the very first sentence what are the three common types of hooks that you can try using? a. b. c.
4. What does using a “challenging question” as a hook do to a reader? Write one good example that you can think of.
5. What does using a “surprising information” as a hook do to a reader? Write one good example that you can think of.
6. What must you bear in mind when using a story as an effective hook?Write one good example that you can think of when starting your essay with an interesting story. Thesis Statement Instructions: View and listen to the YouTube video below (please see link). After that answer the following questions. For question 3fill in the blanks with the correct answers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl9u2xclFtQ
1. What is the primary purpose of a thesis statement in your essay? Explain.
2. What is the second purpose of a thesis statement? Explain.
3. According to the presenter there are TWO common types of thesis statements: specific (with a preview of three main ideas) and broad (to let your readers guess what you are going to write about) . The choice between a specific and a broad thesis statement is really a matter of _________________. Specific thesis statements may be better for more ____________________ ______________ where you give your audience a _______________________ of what your points are to help them digest as they read. If youd like to keep your audience ______________________ ______________ ________________ you can use a broad thesis statement. Practice: For this assignment you will write a specific thesis statement Here is an example of a specific and a broad thesis statement for the prompt “Should university athletes be compensated?” a specific thesis statement with three main ideas can be written University athletes should be compensated for their service to the university for they must pay for all the expenses from their pockets. It is difficult for these students to procure and hold a job to make ends meet and sports take as much time as a full time job on top of their already demanding courses college assignments and other responsibilities. broad thesis statement (Note: there are three ways a broad thesis statement can be written for this prompt) University athletes should be compensated for their service to the university for several reasons. OR There are several reasons why university athletes should be compensated for their service to the university. OR Without a doubt university athletes should be compensated for their service to the university. Practice: a. Write a specific thesis for this prompt: The effects of cyberbullying ______________________________________________________________________________________ b. Write a broad thesis for this prompt: The effects of cyberbullying _______________________________________________________________________________________ Part 2: Lesson for Week 8 & 9: Understanding Body Paragraphs Each body paragraph in the body of the essay must include Topic sentence Instructions: View the YouTube video below and answer the following questions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LluqLOmRUeI 1. What do you need to write after writing your introduction paragraph? 2. According to the presenter your body paragraphs should contain FOUR different elements. What are they? a. b. c. d. 3. What are the TWO different purposes for writing a topic sentence? Fill in the blanks. a. The first purpose is to _________________________________________________________. Whatever point you made in your thesis statement needs to be supported in _______________________________________________________. Otherwise your essay is going to be __________________________________. Furthermore just like your essay needs to support your thesis statement ______________________________________________________________. So your topic sentence should be describing what ____________________________________________. b. The second purpose of your topic sentences is to indicate what the rest of your _________________________________________________. Supporting Details Please check out this link below: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mr6n9ZgQMI Instructions: Comprehension exercise. View the YouTube video above and answer the following questions below. 1. In persuasive writing you should follow your supporting details with ______________________ _________________________. That means providing your audience with ideas that gives them _________________________________________________________________. 2. How can we can focus your writing by considering THREE main types of analysis: a. When are they used? b. When are they used? c. When are they used? 3. What kind of questions can you ask as a good starting point to consider always when writing an insightful analysis in the body paragraphs? a. b. Analysis Development and a Closing Sentence 1. Its important that your insightful analysis sheds a new light or helps your reader come up with ________________________________________________________________. 2. Read the essay on the least favorite household chores posted in Week 6 & Week 7 posted below. Study the body paragraphs. The body paragraphs in the essay are arranged in a logical order. Body paragraph 1 is done for you. For body paragraphs 2 and 3 you will make an insightful analysis on the a. topic sentence b. explanation/supporting details c. closing sentence Example: Body paragraph 1 One of the most hated chores for many people is ironing clothes. It is not a task that can be completed quickly or thoughtlessly. Each piece of clothing must be handled individually so ironing a basket of laundry can take hours! After ironing a piece of clothing meticulously which entails smoothing out the fabric following the seams and getting the creases just right it needs to be put on a hanger as soon as possible. If not this item might become wrinkled and need to be ironed again. Perhaps the reason that ironing is not a favorite chore is that it requires extreme attention to detail from beginning to end. Topic sentence —> One of the most hated chores for many people is ironing clothes. a. This topic sentence here supports the first point in the thesis statement which is about “ironing clothes.” b. It also indicates that the rest of the paragraph is going to be about why ironing clothes can be one of the most hated chores. Topic sentence —> One of the most hated chores for many people is ironing clothes. a. This topic sentence here supports the first point in the thesis statement which is about “ironing clothes.” b. It also indicates that the rest of the paragraph is going to be about why ironing clothes can be one of the most hated chores. Supporting details: Opinion —> It is not a task that can be completed quickly or thoughtlessly. Analysis and Development Explanation/Supporting Details —> Each piece of clothing must be handled individually so ironing a basket of laundry can take hours! After ironing a piece of clothing meticulously which entails smoothing out the fabric following the seams and getting the creases just right it needs to be put on a hanger as soon as possible. If not this item might become wrinkled and need to be ironed again. Closing Sentence Implications —> Perhaps the reason that ironing is not a favorite chore is that it requires extreme attention to detail from beginning to end. 3. Complete an insightful analysis for a. body paragraph 2 Another household chore that many people dislike is washing dishes. Of course some people claim that this chore is no longer a problem because dishwashers are available now! However no one would argue that dishes silverware and especially pots and pan washed in a dishwasher come out as clean as they do when washed by hand. For this reason many people continue to wash their dishes by hand but they are not necessarily happy doing it. Washing dishes is a dirty job that requires not only elbow grease to scrub food off the dishes but also patience to rinse and dry them. In addition unlike ironing clothes washing dishes is a chore that usually must be done every day. Regardless of how Cinderella felt about this particular chore it is obvious that most people do not enjoy doing it. b. body paragraph 3 Although ironing clothes and washing dishes are not the most pleasant household chores perhaps the most dreaded chore is cleaning the bathroom. This task involves tackling three main areas: the bathtub sink and toilet. Because the bathroom is full of germs a quick wiping of the surfaces is often not enough. As a result strong bathroom cleansers are necessary to clean and disinfect this room. The task of cleaning the bathroom is so unpleasant that some people wear rubber gloves when they attempt it. The only positive point about cleaning the bathroom is that it does not have to be done on a daily basis. a topic sentence supporting details analysis development and a closing sentence ‘
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more