I want you to think about how occupations (jobs) are stratified (organized in hierarchies) according to gender. The two papers for this week (on both “Care Work” and the “Glass Escalator”) should give you an idea of how to tackle this writing assignment. Basically I want you to think about how gender is associated to the types of essential jobs that imply greater someones greater exposures to COVID-19. For this short 600 word essay you must conduct a little bit of research in steps:
1. Please check the State of Californias definition of Essential Infrastructure Workers (Links to an external site.). Pay particular attention to three categories: Health and Public Health Sector Food and Agriculture and Government Operations. For each of these categories identify 3 critical jobs or occupations (e.g. nurses) for a total of 9 (screenshot below).
2. I then want you to check out the relevant labor force statistics (Links to an external site.) from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. As you will able to see the BLS provides a complete list of the numbers sexes and races of people employed across a large number of occupations (see screenshot below).
3. Find the 9 essential occupations you identified in the State of Californias definition of essential workers and write down their information about numbers employed and sex in the form of a table (fictional example below).
4. Search for average salaries for these different occupations and classify each as high-wage (more than $85K per year) middle-wage ($36-84K per year) or low-wage (less than $35K per year).
5. Write a 600 word essay addressing the following questions:
a) Is essential care-work gendered (are there more women in essential care-work-related categories)? In what ways?
b) Are wages gendered? (That is do high status essential occupations have more men on average than low status essential occupations)?
c) Given the type of jobs and activities on your list are women essential workers more exposed to risks than men essential workers?
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more